Convicted terrorist Sudesh Amman shot after attacking citizens a week after prison release

Updated: Feb 4, 2020


Three people were stabbed in the attack in Streatham, south London, on Sunday afternoon (image:Getty)

A man responsible for the knife attacks in Streatham, south London on Sunday has been shot dead by police.

Convicted terror offender Sudesh Amman, who served three years for terror offences was released from prison a week ago.

Amman was found guilty in 2017 of disseminating terrorist material and collecting information useful for terrorism. He was under active police surveillance at the time of his attack.

He had a hoax device strapped to his body, police said.

Three people - a man and two women, were stabbed in the attack. The man,who is in his 40s, is now in a stable condition. He had been rushed to hospital with life-threatening injuries earlier in the day.

The first woman, in her 50s, has been discharged from hospital, while the second woman, in her 20s, was injured by glass following the discharge of a police firearm. She is being treated in hospital.

Martin Jones, chief executive of the Parole Board, has said that he believes Sudesh Amman was released from prison automatically without an assessment.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the government plan to announce fundamental changes to the system for dealing with those convicted of terrorism on Monday.

Anthony Stevens, who was a neighbour of Amman’s family for 18 years, said that he became angrier as he grew up and was “easily led”.

Mr Stevens added that he played out “Islamic terror ranting” from his room and there was always noise and trouble in the house.

Details of the incident Gunshots were heard on Streatham High Road just after 14:00 GMT on Sunday.

Witnesses said that a man entered a shop and started stabbing people. He then left the shop and stabbed a woman reports suggest.

The situation has been contained and officers from the Met's Counter Terrorism Command are now leading an investigation into the incident.

Streatham High Road is still closed and a cordon is in place. The police have also reinforced patrols in the area.

Police are appealing for information, images and footage of the incident which can be shared via www.ukpoliceimageappeal.com or on 0800 789 321.

0 comments

©2020 powered by World View