The city of Minneapolis has reached a $27m (£19m) settlement with the family of George Floyd, the unarmed US black man whose death last May sparked protests worldwide.
The city council unanimously approved the settlement on Friday. The council emerged from closed session to announce the move, which includes $500,000 for the neighbourhood where Floyd was arrested.
The Floyd family attorney, Ben Crump, said in a prepared statement that it was the largest pre-trial civil rights settlement ever in a wrongful death lawsuit, and “sends a powerful message that Black lives do matter and police brutality against people of colour must end”.
Lawyers for the family also said the footage created "undeniable demand for justice and change".
Council president, Lisa Bender, said: "I hope that today will centre the voices of the family and anything that they would like to share.
“But I do want to, on behalf of the entire city council, offer my deepest condolences to the family of George Floyd, his friends and all of our community who are mourning his loss.”
In a video of Mr Floyd's death that went viral on social media, four police officers confront the man for allegedly using a counterfeit $20 bill at a local shop.
They drag him to the ground and Mr Chauvin places his knee on Mr Floyd's neck, even as he begs for his life and says "I can't breathe". He was later pronounced dead in hospital.
Lawyers for the Floyd family filed a civil suit one month later, in June 2020.
They argued the city had been negligent for failing to train officers in proper restraint techniques and for not dismissing officers with a poor track record.
Floyd’s sister, Bridgett Floyd, said in a statement: “On behalf of all of my family members, I am pleased that this part of our tragic journey to justice for my brother George is resolved.”
She added: “Our family suffered an irreplaceable loss May 25 when George’s life was senselessly taken by a Minneapolis police officer. While we will never get our beloved George back, we will continue to work tirelessly to make this world a better, and safer, place for all.”
Jury selection for Mr Chauvin's murder trial is currently underway.
The former officer is facing charges of second and third degree murder and second degree manslaughter. If found guilty on all counts, he could face a maximum sentence of 65 years in prison. He has pleaded not guilty.
Six out of 12 jurors have been selected for hearings beginning on 29 March.
The final bench will require 12 jurors and four alternates - or substitutes - but suitable jurors have been hard to find in this emotionally charged and high-profile case.