Seven protesters killed and dozens injured in Sudan

Updated: Oct 26, 2021

At least seven people have died and more than 140 have been hurt after soldiers fired at crowds opposing a military takeover in Sudan.

Protestors took to the streets after the armed forces dissolved civilian rule, arrested political leaders and called a state of emergency on Monday.

The coup has been condemned around the world, and the US halted $700m in aid.

The leader of the coup, Gen Abdel Fattah Burhan, blamed political infighting for the military action.

Civilian leaders and their military counterparts have been at odds since long-time ruler Omar al-Bashir was overthrown two years ago.

The city's airport is closed and international flights are suspended. The internet and most phone lines are also down.

Central Bank staff have reportedly gone on strike and across the country, doctors are said to be refusing to work in military run hospitals except in emergencies.

On Monday, the Information Ministry said Hamdok had been under pressure to release a statement "in support of the takeover." Instead, it said, he called on pro-democracy protestors to take to the streets in peaceful protest.

Tensions had been rising after some politicians, including Hamdok, pushed for a full transition to civilian rule by November 17 2021.

The situation escalated last month, when a military coup d'etat attributed to forces loyal to Bashir failed, resulting in most of the officers involved being arrested.

In the weeks since, military leaders have been demanding reforms to the Forces of Freedom and Change (FFC) coalition and the replacement of the cabinet. Civilian leaders accused them of a power grab.

Meanwhile, the US has joined the UK, EU, UN and African Union, of which Sudan is a member, in demanding the release of political leaders who are now under house arrest in unknown locations.

Among them are Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok and his wife, along with members of his cabinet and other civilian leaders.