Zimbabwe records its second coronavirus death as doctors file lawsuit against the government


Zimbabwe has recorded its second coronavirus death two weeks after TV presenter Zororo Makamba lost his life.


A 79-year old Bulawayo man, who was critical and in intensive care died on Saturday

The unidentified man became the country’s 11th confirmed case of coronavirus.


In a statement released by the Ministry of Health, the victim had travelled to a town called Hwange for a safari.


The Health Ministry said. " l would like to report that the National Microbiology Reference Laboratory (NMRL) tested 21 samples. One of these, tested positive for Covid-19, bringing the total to eleven cases reported to date. However, the eleventh case passed away in hospital on Saturday 4 April 2020."


Meanwhile, Zimbabwean billionaire Strive Masiyiwa has donated 45 ventilators to public hospitals. These are due to arrive at the end of April.


Elsewhere, Zimbabwean doctors have filed a lawsuit against the government over its failure to provide those working on the frontline of the Covid-19 pandemic with masks.


The Zimbabwe Association for Doctors for Human Rights (ZADHR) is seeking to push the authorities to urgently act and provide personal protective equipment (PPE) for medical practitioners,and warning that failure to do this would ressult in many workers on the frontline dying.


ZADHR said 1,500 staff working in public hospitals require at least three masks daily, a “luxury” that the government is failing to provide.


Doctors and nurses staged a walkout last month in protest over a lack of protective clothing to care for coronavirus patients.


Zimbabwe has so far recorded 11 cases of infection.


#coronavirus #COVID19 #Zimbabwe


0 comments